rebooting with new kernel

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 18:19:47 UTC 2015

On 07/20/2015 01:55 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>> ok, I got a new kernel today, 8-300 . so I copied the grub.cfg to
>> grub.8-300 and did another grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and
>> the new grub.cfg is different that what the system made after it
>> installed the new kernel.. I am not sure what the difference is..
>
> It looks like you have kernel-debug installed, and that is the default
> kernel immediately after an update, but not the default kernel after
> running grub2-mkconfig.
>
> I'm not sure why the debug kernel would not run on your system, but
> that'd be the place to start looking.  If you're not debugging your
> kernel, you could probably just remove the kernel-debug* packages.
I have booted debug kernels before, mostly in error, because it was the
default:)
it disables the network ( at least it did for me), so it was easy to
sport that I was in the wrong place.

I understand it is different & sets  the debug kernel as default, but IN
THE PAST, when I just installed the new kernel & let grubby do it's
thing, when I rebooted, all I got was a bouncing underscore, and no grub
menu.. the fact that grubby does create a different grub.cfg than when I
do grub2-mkconfig still bothers me.. shouldn't they be the same??

--
Paul Cartwright