unmaintained bugs

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 21 19:31:15 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 10:20:32AM -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> >* When a Fedora release reaches end-of-life, bugs filed against that
> >release are automatically closed as "EOL". If you know that bug still
> >exists in a supported version, please reopen these and reassign them to
> >the current version or to rawhide.
> You can pretty well tell that a program's not really maintained when
> you open a bug less than a month after a new Fedora version comes
> out and the second comment on it is that it's being closed at EOL
> for the version.  And before anybody asks, I've had that happen more
> than once.

Yes -- it's hard to keep up. And while many Fedora package maintainers
*do* try to facilitate when this happens, many of these bugs are
upstream problems which are hard to fix at the Fedora level. It's best
to file these with the upstream project. Of course, that's asking a lot
more of users (track down upstream project, figure out their bug
system, etc.), but... short of someone paying a lot more for Fedora
package maintenance, it's hard to know a good solution.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>