dnf update vs Software Udpates

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 16:01:12 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 05:41:48PM +0200, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 22.07.2015, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>
> > That said, I sometimes do not understand what's the harm in getting
> > updates few hours later.  dnf already tells you how old the metadata is
> > when it starts, you can choose to get the latest metadata if it is too
> > old.  So what's the big deal?
>
> I usually update weekly (or at least once within two weeks). And since
> F22, I get "nothing to do" every time I do this - although there are
> updates waiting. Which is.. annoying. So every time I have to clean
> the cache to be able to update.

This is strange.  I see very different behaviour.  I update once every 2
days or so.  Usually my metadata is a few hours old.  Here are some
examples:

On my laptop:
  # dnf check-update
  Last metadata expiration check performed 2:01:15 ago on Wed Jul 22 15:47:25 2015.
and I have a bunch of updates waiting.

On my home server:
  # dnf check-update
  Last metadata expiration check performed 1:19:48 ago on Wed Jul 22 16:30:00 2015.
with approximately similar set of updates waiting.

On an old laptop which I have not updated in some time.
  $ sudo dnf check-update
  [sudo] password for jallad:
  Last metadata expiration check performed 2:29:02 ago on Wed Jul 22 15:22:05 2015.
a much larger set of updates awaiting.

My local time is, 2015-07-22 17:54:30.  So they are all within 2-3
hours.  That is why I find your case a bit puzzling.  Maybe it is
worthwhile to file a bugzilla.  To be complete, I have no metadata
related options set in dnf.conf or yum.conf.  Maybe you have something
like that set?

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu