Creating kvm instance remotely

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 23:12:28 UTC 2015

Hi,

>> I'm aware of kickstart, but have never used it. Is that the best
>> option, or is something like chef or puppet easier?
>> I've experimented with virt-install, but that apparently doesn't
>> provide the ability to select all of the install config options
>
> It might help to picture the virtual machine as a stack.

Okay, got it, cool.

I've created a kickstart file and passed it to virt-install, but have
had no success in actually getting it to go through an install:

# virt-install --name demo --hvm --memory 1024 --virt-type kvm \
        --disk path=/var/lib/libvirt/images/demo.img,size=8 \
        --network network:default --os-variant=fedora22 \
        --location /var/lib/libvirt/images/fedora22 \
        -x "ks=/var/lib/libvirt/images/anaconda-ks.cfg" \
        --graphics vnc,password=foobar,listen=0.0.0.0,port=5910

This is from the command-line on a server in the colo. It fails with a
dracut error "Warning: /dev/root does not exist" then the install
fails with a dracut prompt.

What's wrong with that command line?

Thanks,
Alex