dnf update vs Software Udpates

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jul 23 02:41:18 UTC 2015

On 07/22/2015 09:32 PM, Ron Yorston wrote:
> Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 07:20:11PM +0100, Ron Yorston wrote:
>>> I certainly get the impression that dnf tells me about updates less
>>> frequently than yum did.  It also seems to pull in metadata less
>>> frequently.
>>
>> Keep in mind that we only push updates once per day *anyway*.
>
> OK, but that's independent of the client being used.  Both yum and
> dnf see the same updates, but dnf doesn't seem to be as quick to
> pass them on.

IIRC, dnf and yum use different default intervals/timeouts.

dnf by default uses 2 days (search for "metadata_expire" in
"man dnf.conf", while yum used 6 hours (search for "metadata_expire" in
"man yum.conf").

>> Of course, if you're mixing in private repos or other rpm providers,
>> there may be different policies.
>
> Sure, different repos have different policies but why would that affect
> Fedora updates?
They affect updates when package conflicts occur. The probability to
encounter them when "mixing repos" is much higher.

yum complained about them and forced users to intervene manually.

dnf by default remains silent about such conflicts and doesn't update.
This lets users believe everything was "OK", while their system actually
is partially outdated.

Ralf