Help Compiling Static Binary

Richard Heck rgheck at lyx.org
Thu Jul 23 17:38:19 UTC 2015

For some time, I've been using the minidlna program to serve media to
TVs, etc, in my house. Unfortunately, recent updates to the ffmpeg suite
broke the program: Certainly library calls no longer work. I'm therefore
trying to build a static binary against the last version of ffmpeg that
worked.

I understand that these aren't fedora-supported programs, but I think
the question is really more general, namely: how exactly one goes about
building a static binary.

What I've done is:

     ./configure --enable-static
     make

But I get linking errors:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ljpeg
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lid3tag
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsqlite3
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lavformat
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lavutil
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lexif
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lFLAC
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -logg
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lvorbis
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s

The libraries are all there, though, where one would expect to find
them. And non-static compilation works fine (with the right version of
ffmpeg).

Is there something I need to pass to configure to make this work?

Alternatively, is it possible to install older ffmpeg libraries, etc,
alongside the newer ones and tell minidlna to use those? If so, how?

Thanks,
Richard

PS I'll eventually raise other aspects of this sort of question at
SourceForge, but.....