unmaintained bugs

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 00:09:43 UTC 2015

Hi

On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 1:15 PM, antonio montagnani wrote:

> no, I am not assuming that maintainers are paid, but when you are a
> volunteer you must be honest to you and other people to say when you cannot
> continue to be a volunteer

This is much more tricky than you apparently assume it to be.   Here is
just a few different cases to consider from my own experience:

1)  When a package becomes orphaned, sometimes you pick it up because you
are using it or a component you are using it depends on it but then updates
start coming in and people report bugs and you realize you don't have the
time for maintaining the library itself even though the software that you
do want to maintain, depends on it.

2) You bring a new package into Fedora with the idea that you are going to
use it actively. A few months later, something better suited for you pops
out and you aren't paying as much attention to the package you brought in.

3) Your volunteer time decreases because you switched jobs, moved places,
 got promoted etc and you don't have the time but you don't want to cut off
involvement either.  You look for co-maintainers but your package is
obscure enough that only a few people even use it and noone is interested
in maintaining it with you.  Your choice is between abandoning the package
with the understanding that you are going to have to maintain it privately
for your own use (private repo before or copr these days) or maintain it
with the understanding that you aren't going to have the time to answer
every bug report immediately.

Rahul