Sending a desktop to a big screen

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 08:23:07 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 11:04:36PM -0400, Amit Prahesh wrote:

> Now, Sally, one of the engineers wants to share her desktop with the others
> and uses application XYZ to project/cast/extend/send it to the big TV (via
> its PC, of course). All of them discuss whatever was on her mind, and five
> minutes later, she closes application XYZ and the office goes back as it
> was before. Fred wants to do the same, and he does. Actually all of them
> can.

It seems you want to screencast, something like chromecast I guess, but
interactive sessions.  I do not know of any such program.  I can think
of two hacks though.

1) You can use your company's video conferencing setup to screen share
   with the desktop with the big TV.

2) Just unplug the TV from the desktop and plug your laptop in, and
   extend your display.  I have a script that will automatically pick the
   optimal resolution for the display using xrandr.  You can write
   something like that yourself (or if you like the idea, I can send my
   script).

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu