OT - NFS group ignored

Emmett Culley lst_manage at webengineer.com
Sun Jul 26 14:34:08 UTC 2015

On 07/25/2015 08:31 PM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 26Jul2015 10:39, Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> My standard question in this situation is: how many groups is the user in on the client machine?
>>>
>> Well, in my non-failing case, just 2.
>>
>> Not heard of a limitation in that area.
>
> Historically there was a 16 group protocol limit on what the client passed to the NFS server, so unless the file's group was in your first 15 secondary groups it would not be consulted for file access.
>
> Let's see what the OP has to deal with.
>
> Cheers,
> Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

On the Fedora client my user is a member of ten groups, including my own. On the server my user is a member of seven groups, including my own and the web_prog group in question here.

Where can I look to find if there are "still" limitations on the number of groups passed to the server?

Anybody have a response to my question about idmapd requiring UID and/or GID numerical synchronization between client and server?

Emmett