chromecast: Fedora vs Windows

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jul 28 00:04:54 UTC 2015

On 07/28/15 07:44, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2015-07-27 at 13:43 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>> Sadly, I find that chromecast (under google chrome) performs much
>>> better
>>> under Windows 7 than under Fedora-22 (on the same laptop).
>>> Under Fedora the reception is very jumpy.
>>> Admittedly this is with a rather low - 6.5Mb/s - internet speed.
>>>
>>> I wonder if this is a common experience?
>> Doing what exactly? AFAIK Chromecast connects directly to the Internet
>> for supported applications (e.g. Netflix), so the OS on your computer
>> shouldn't be an issue. If you mean sending web video from your desktop
>> then of course that's a different matter, but there are a lot of
>> variables (browser, codec support etc.) that aren't related to
>> Chromecast.
> I was watching live TV online, running google chrome on my laptop,
> first under Fedora-22 and then under Windows 7 (through filmon.com)
> using chromecast to cast the program onto a Samsung TV (series 6).
>
> My laptop is linked to a router by WiFi, and thence to a CentOS-7 server,
> and finally to the internet.
>
> You seem to suggest that the chromecast connects the TV
> directly to the router once the connection is established?
> That seems plausible, but doesn't explain the difference in quality.

When using chrome to cast a tab like I'm sure you're doing then the traffic is coming from the source, to your browser, and then "reflected" to the chromecast dongle.

If you are using an application which is chromecast enabled, such as NetFlix or many of the chromecast enabled Android apps, then yes the traffic will be switched/configured to come from the source and go directly to the chromecast dongle.

This is the reason I can't cast Netflix from my Android Tablet to my TV.  While my tablet is using a DNS proxy to redirect traffic to my VPN provider when casting the Netflix app notifies Netflix to switch but in the process my real IP address is exposed and Netflix then "knows" I'm not in the US.  (I have a Roku to, so no worries...and there are other ways I could use the chromecast if I wanted to take a few extra steps).

> I just tried using a Samsung Galaxy phone in place of the laptop
> to cast the same online TV program to the TV,
> and found this was actually even better than Windows.
> So I'd have to say Android wins the 3-way race.
>
> I suspect my broadband speed (in central Italy) of 6.6 Mbps
> is on the borderline for this use, though that may be nonsense.

Oh, BTW, I just got my bill and I actually have 20Mb/s download speed.  :-)

--
If I wanted a blog or social media I'd go elsewhere