chromecast: Fedora vs Windows

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jul 28 10:56:33 UTC 2015

On 07/28/15 18:41, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> If you are using an application which is chromecast enabled, such as
>> NetFlix or many of the chromecast enabled Android apps, then yes the
>> traffic will be switched/configured to come from the source and go
>> directly to the chromecast dongle.
> Yes, it seems more complicated than I thought;
> I found when I started casting from my Android phone
> I could switch off the phone and the cast continued,
> so it must be going directly from router to TV.
> In fact I had to switch off the TV to break the connection.
> But this was using a filmon app on the phone
> which I'm sure is chromecast-enabled as you say.

I use the LiveNow!TV app which is what I think you are using.  It has built-in support for ChromeCast.  For apps on the Android which don't have built-in your choice is to use ChromeCast's screencast or Screencasting to a SMARTtv.  In those later cases there is the "reflecting" going on which would have an effect on performance.

> So the difference in quality between Fedora-casting and Windows-casting
> may arise from different chromecast plugins for google chrome?
> But in both cases I am able to break the connection from the laptop.
Yes.  See above.

>> This is the reason I can't cast Netflix from my Android Tablet to my TV.
>> While my tablet is using a DNS proxy to redirect traffic to my VPN
>> provider when casting the Netflix app notifies Netflix to switch but in
>> the process my real IP address is exposed and Netflix then "knows" I'm not
>> in the US.  (I have a Roku to, so no worries...and there are other ways I
>> could use the chromecast if I wanted to take a few extra steps).
> That's interesting, and relevant in my case as I thought of subscribing
> to a VPN server in the UK as most UK online TV services
> seem to be restricted to users believed to be in the UK.

There would be no problem if I were to be using a pure VPN connect established by my tablet or by my router.  It is only a DNS proxy situation that doesn't work with Chromecast.  I could use DNS proxy + screencast but that brings in the performance issue which may be a problem with a tablet.

I'm just too lazy to create the VPN connection on my tablet..2 extra touches...when I can just use my Roku.  I sometimes think the extra touches may be worth it since the Netflix interface of Roku is "minimal".

>>> I suspect my broadband speed (in central Italy) of 6.6 Mbps
>>> is on the borderline for this use, though that may be nonsense.
>> Oh, BTW, I just got my bill and I actually have 20Mb/s download speed.
> Can you tell from your bill? Mine says "up to 40Mb/s",
> but when I asked my ISP said he was surprised my speed was so high!

Yes.  It is 20, I'd just forgotten since I switched carriers about 2 years ago.  I tested it and am getting the download speed I'm paying for.  No trouble to stream simultaneously several sources.

--
If I wanted a blog or social media I'd go elsewhere