F21: Thunderbird insists on calling Fedora list messages junk!

William mattison.computer at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 28 18:17:05 UTC 2015

Good afternoon,

On 07/23/2015 03:00 PM, William wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> Most messages received from this fedora list are labelled junk by
> Thunderbird.  This is even though I whitelisted "From" =
> "users-request at lists.fedoraproject.org".  Actually, I have this
> problem both in my Fedora-21 and my windows-7 systems.  Any ideas?
> Surely messages from this list are not junk!
>
> thanks,
> Bill.

My original message was vague; my apologies.  The Fedora list messages
were not being put into the "Bulk Mail" folder.  Rather, they were being
flagged with a little "flame" symbol in the inbox table of contents, and
between the message header and the message body.  Clicking the "Not
Junk" button clears that flame symbol, but it reappears again shortly
after.  Also, not all fedora list messages are flagged with the flame
symbol; but most are.  I see no pattern as to which are and which are not.

 > Seriously, I've gotten rid of that issue by whitelisting any message
 > where the To: field contains users at lists.fedoraproject.org and haven't
 > had one drop into the Junk folder since.

Thank-you.

I tried that.  No change; same behavior.  It also doesn't matter when I
set the filter to be run.  I checked for other user filters; there are
none.  I have several e-mail accounts in Thunderbird, but this problem
shows up only for Fedora list messages, and only in the one e-mail
account that I use for the Fedora list.  If I recall correctly, this
problem started showing up in late spring.  Is anyone else seeing this
behavior?  Is there something in the Fedora list message headers that is
bugging Thunderbird's spam-checking code, and can be adjusted?  This
seems to not be a Thunderbird issue and not a Fedora issue, but a Fedora
list issue.

thanks,
Bill.