F21: Thunderbird insists on calling Fedora list messages junk!

William mattison.computer at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 28 21:25:20 UTC 2015

On 07/28/2015 02:17 PM, William wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> On 07/23/2015 03:00 PM, William wrote:
>> Good afternoon,
>>
>> Most messages received from this fedora list are labelled junk by
>> Thunderbird.  This is even though I whitelisted "From" =
>> "users-request at lists.fedoraproject.org".  Actually, I have this
>> problem both in my Fedora-21 and my windows-7 systems.  Any ideas?
>> Surely messages from this list are not junk!
>>
>> thanks,
>> Bill.
>
> My original message was vague; my apologies.  The Fedora list messages
> were not being put into the "Bulk Mail" folder.  Rather, they were
> being flagged with a little "flame" symbol in the inbox table of
> contents, and between the message header and the message body.
> Clicking the "Not Junk" button clears that flame symbol, but it
> reappears again shortly after.  Also, not all fedora list messages are
> flagged with the flame symbol; but most are.  I see no pattern as to
> which are and which are not.
>
> > Seriously, I've gotten rid of that issue by whitelisting any message
> > where the To: field contains users at lists.fedoraproject.org and haven't
> > had one drop into the Junk folder since.
>
> Thank-you.
>
> I tried that.  No change; same behavior.  It also doesn't matter when
> I set the filter to be run.  I checked for other user filters; there
> are none.  I have several e-mail accounts in Thunderbird, but this
> problem shows up only for Fedora list messages, and only in the one
> e-mail account that I use for the Fedora list.  If I recall correctly,
> this problem started showing up in late spring.  Is anyone else seeing
> this behavior?  Is there something in the Fedora list message headers
> that is bugging Thunderbird's spam-checking code, and can be
> adjusted?  This seems to not be a Thunderbird issue and not a Fedora
> issue, but a Fedora list issue.
>
> thanks,
> Bill.

 > Try this: remove the filter completely and close the list of filters.
 > Then, reopen the list and create a new filter, giving it a different
 > name and typing in the email address from scratch instead of using
 > Copy/Paste.  It sounds a tad heavy-handed, but there's a possibility
 > that there's a non-printing character stuck in there that's fscking
 > things up.

Thank-you Joe.  I tried what you suggested.  No change.  I also tried
deleting *all* the filters, exiting Thunderbird, and re-launching
Thunderbird.  Still the same behavior.  But it sure seemed like a good
theory.

I raised this issue because it is unique to the Fedora list, though I
experience the problem in both Fedora-21 and Windows-7.  I gather from
everyone else's silence that I'm the only person experiencing the
problem.  If I really am the only person affected, we can drop this;
it's just a rather minor nuisance.

Bill.