Fedora 22 WS live i686 fails

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 29 04:16:59 UTC 2015

On 07/28/15 02:44, Patrick Dupre wrote:
>> On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 4:46 AM jd1008 wrote

>>> did you run checksum on iso before burning?
> YES

.
ok.

>>> are you burning cl or gui?
> GUI (k3d)

.
ok.

>>> try burning at 2 speeds slower to test dvd's and burner.
> The speed is auto (x4 if I am correct)

.
such would mean either your burner or dvd's are 4x. if both are above
4x, it would tend to indicate burner problem, or it is an early model.

manually drop to 2x to see if new burn will boot.

<<>>>
>> Another check should be done when the dvd is booted and anaconda
>> prompts the user to check the media. If that check fails, then, perhaps
>> a. bad burn
> It success
>> b. bad media
> I tried 2 types of media already
>> c. bad download
> !!
>> d. flaky dvd drive
>
> I never had any problem before with this burner or DVDs

.
a burner can go bad while burning or reading a dvd. more often when
burning. main cause of problems is laser fails, usually from higher
wattage used during burn.

optical disk burners are strange devices with stranger habits.

another test is to burn a different live iso. something that you
have burned before and had good results, _and_ is of early "/dev"
configuration.

because you have 2 machines, try burning dvd on 2nd box.

dvd's not being from reputable maker can also cause problems.

today's run of dvd-r disk are usually of 16x speed, where as burners
are 24x. [do not ask. i wonder why myself.]

current prices for good dvd burners are around $20 for internal and
external usb. just decide what your time and peace of mind are worth.

when buying a new burner, remember you want dvd-r to match dvd-r blanks.

--

If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

tc,hago.

.