FAIL: Thunderbird: Replying to thread

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Wed Jul 29 07:12:04 UTC 2015

On 07/29/15 07:02, Greg Woods wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 4:28 PM, Rich Emberson <emberson.rich at gmail.com <mailto:emberson.rich at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     When I reply to a thread using Thunderbird, the response never
>     shows up, but, if I include the email of the person who wrote
>     the thread I am responding to, that person gets the email.
>
>     On the other hand, if I log in to my gmail account
>

> Stop right there. This unfortunately sounds like a well-known Google-ism. If you send mail to a mailing list that you are on, it does not put the message in your Inbox. Our users have complained about this countless times, but Google is a giant and we are small potatoes, so it's not going to change.

Yes, I use T-Bird almost exclusively and without issue.  A "simple" way, and the way I use, to fix it is to use gmail's filters to put emails from mailing lists into their own folder and bypass the INBOX.

I prefer to do it that way since that is how I've things for  a long time....dating back to when I ran my own mail server.  I also have different retention lengths for various mailing lists which is managed by T-Bird.  Why should I archive everything when fedora holds it?  :-)

--
If I wanted a blog or social media I'd go elsewhere