installing Fedora 21 or 22 on a MacBook Air 7,1

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Jul 29 18:16:25 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 9:07 AM, Frederic Muller <fred at cm17.com> wrote:

> Sorry if my email wasn't clear enough: there is no disk to install
> Fedora to. The SSD drive is simply invisible.

It's possible it's being misidentified and "stolen" by multipathd and
will need to be explicitly blacklisted. Doing that is easy, but
totally non-obvious. This might provide some assistance on configuring
the blacklist:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/DM_Multipath/config_file_blacklist.html

I think I used that or something really similar to it when I had this
problem during Fedora 22 testing (which resulted in some multipathd
changes, but hey there are always edge cases).

On a MBA it's difficult to get information off of it, because
proprietary firmware is needed for wireless. I'm not sure if the
mDP/thunderbolt to ethernet adapter needs a driver (?), but if you
have one and it works out of the box then you can scp a copy of
'journalctl -b -l -o short-monotonic > journal.txt' to some other
computer. Another option is two USB sticks. Another option still is to
create the install media USB stick with livecd-iso-to-disk pointed at
a *partition* rather than the whole stick. Pre-partition it into two
partitions. Format the smaller partition as anything, mkfs.ext4 is
fine so is FAT it doesn't matter. And then point l-i-t-d (part of
livecd-tools package) to the other partition. While you're at it, you
might as all use the --overlay-size-mb option because that's necessary
to create a persistent blacklist file to be used at boot time -
assuming the blacklist file is even needed.

So now you can boot the install media, and you'll have a partition you
can mount to capture the journal. Post that file somewhere and we'll
see if it suggests multipathd or other confusion. While you're at it,
both 'lsblk' and 'blkid' output might be useful also. But really it's
whether the kernel sees it, and if so how udev and/or multipathd
handled it thereafter.

--
Chris Murphy