F21: Thunderbird insists on calling Fedora list messages junk!

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Jul 29 20:39:10 UTC 2015

On 07/29/2015 11:59 AM, William wrote:

> On 07/28/2015 05:25 PM, William wrote:
>>

>> On 07/28/2015 02:17 PM, William wrote:
>>> Good afternoon,

>>> My original message was vague; my apologies.  The Fedora list
>>> messages were not being put into the "Bulk Mail" folder. Rather, they
>>> were being flagged with a little "flame" symbol in the inbox table of
>>> contents, and between the message header and the message body.
>>> Clicking the "Not Junk" button clears that flame symbol, but it
>>> reappears again shortly after.  Also, not all fedora list messages
>>> are flagged with the flame symbol; but most are.  I see no pattern as
>>> to which are and which are not.

>>> Thank-you.
>>>
>>> I tried that.  No change; same behavior.  It also doesn't matter when
>>> I set the filter to be run.  I checked for other user filters; there
>>> are none.  I have several e-mail accounts in Thunderbird, but this
>>> problem shows up only for Fedora list messages, and only in the one
>>> e-mail account that I use for the Fedora list.  If I recall
>>> correctly, this problem started showing up in late spring.  Is anyone
>>> else seeing this behavior?  Is there something in the Fedora list
>>> message headers that is bugging Thunderbird's spam-checking code, and
>>> can be adjusted?  This seems to not be a Thunderbird issue and not a
>>> Fedora issue, but a Fedora list issue.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Bill.
>>
>> > Try this: remove the filter completely and close the list of filters.
>> > Then, reopen the list and create a new filter, giving it a different
>> > name and typing in the email address from scratch instead of using
>> > Copy/Paste.  It sounds a tad heavy-handed, but there's a possibility
>> > that there's a non-printing character stuck in there that's fscking
>> > things up.
>>
>> Thank-you Joe.  I tried what you suggested.  No change.  I also tried
>> deleting *all* the filters, exiting Thunderbird, and re-launching
>> Thunderbird.  Still the same behavior.  But it sure seemed like a good
>> theory.
>>
>> I raised this issue because it is unique to the Fedora list, though I
>> experience the problem in both Fedora-21 and Windows-7. I gather from
>> everyone else's silence that I'm the only person experiencing the
>> problem.  If I really am the only person affected, we can drop this;
>> it's just a rather minor nuisance.
>>
>> Bill.
>
> Rick Stevens said:
>  > In Thunderbird, go to:
>  >
>  >    Edit->Account Settings
>  >
>  > Select the "Junk Settings" item under the account you're concerned with,
>  > then click on the "Global Junk Preferences" button. In the next window,
>  > select the "Junk" tab, then click on the "Reset Training Data" button.
>  > You've just wiped out any junk training Thunderbird client has.
>  >
> [...]

Sorry it didn't work. To be honest, that was a shotgun approach to the
problem. It's worked for me before on some things but since I'm not
having the same issue as you, it's hard to make suggestions.

Looking at Thunderbird's website, make sure that you open messages that
are NOT marked as junk and press the upper case "J" (not junk). This
helps train Thunderbird to recognize non-junk messages.

Have a look at this link:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-junk-spam-messages

specifically the "Training the junk filter" section.
-   I haven't lost my mind.  It's backed up on tape somewhere, but   -
-                       probably not recoverable.                    -