Mounting exfat usb stick

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 31 06:00:04 UTC 2015

On 07/30/15 22:20, jd1008 wrote:
> On 07/30/2015 08:38 PM, g wrote:
>> On 07/30/15 20:16, jd1008 wrote:
>> <>
>>

>>> So I tried as root, and it mounted OK:
>>> mount | grep sdc1
>>> /dev/sdc1 on /sdc1 type fuseblk
>>> (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=508,group_id=508,allow_other,blksize=4096)
>>>

>>> then as root I tried to copy a file to /sdc1:
>>>
>>> # cp rpms.list /sdc1/
>>> cp: cannot create regular file ‘/sdc1/rpms.list’: No such file or directory
>>>

>>> So, what else need I do so that regular users can mount and write to usb
>>> sticks that are formatted as exfat FS?
>>>
>> do not have an answer for your question, but i do have a question about
>> what you show above.
>>
>> you show "/sdc1/" in command, while your 'mount"grep' shows "/dev/sdc1".
>> are you working in "/dev" directory?
> No!!
> I mount /dev/sdc1 on the directory /sdc1

ok. what users/permissions does /sdc1 have set?

as i learned, i have in / path for mounting drives, via fstab or manually,
/hdd is owned by root with "drwxr-xr-x.

below /hdd, i have owned by user with "drwxrwxrwx";

   /hdd
     /sda
     /sdb
     /sdc
     /sdd
     /sde
     /sdf

below those 6, in each i have: 01, 02, 03, -> 10 ["0x" to keep order]
to give all "user"s full read/write/exec permission and no / access.

i still have /media and /mnt available, so program "disk utility" still
has access of /media.

with your directory of /sdc1, are permissions correct to allow a user
write permission?

as i was taught, giving a user ownership with write and execute
permissions to a / directory should not be.

>> with command "# cp rpms.list /sdc1/", is "rpms.list" in current directory?
> Current directory  (of the shell) happens to be other than /sdc1.

then err is indicating that ‘rpms.list’ is either not in current directory
or user does not have permissions to access file or permissions of target
directory are incorrect.

>> comment: when showing command lines, is best to 'drag and paste' than just
>> write a command line. sometimes it helps to show full command line prompt.
>>
>> just asking and trying to understand. :-)
> No problem.
>
> I think that there are quirks about the implementation of exfat
> as a user land driver (filesystem), instead of a kernel driver like ext[n].

possibly. to verify, maybe changing usb format to 'fat32' and repeating
procedure to see if you still get err. if repeats, it is permissions or
locations.

--

If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

tc,hago.

.