Fwd: Help a friend skip Windows 10 and try GNU/Linux

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 16:10:53 UTC 2015

FYI

-------- Forwarded Message --------

Free Software Foundation

Dear ,

We can't stop all the millions of people who are installing Windows 10
right now, but we can influence our friends and family to skip Windows
and join us in the free world. As you know, Windows 10 puts those that
use it under the thumb of Microsoft, while free software treats users as
equals and gives them control over their digital lives.

*Pledge to help a friend switch to GNU/Linux today.
<https://www.fsf.org/windows/pledge>*

We've also created a new area on our site for people interested in
switching from Windows <https://www.fsf.org/windows>. Check it out, and
share it with your friends to get them excited about joining you in the
free world.

The FSF maintains a list of endorsed GNU/Linux distributions
<http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html>, and there are myriad
resources online for getting started. If your friend wants to try free
software but can't be persuaded to leave Windows quite yet, show them
these free programs that work on Windows
<http://www.gnu.org/software/for-windows.html>. If they're thinking
about buying a new computer, show them the laptops we certify through
our Respects Your Freedom program
<https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom>. If
they're the type that builds their own computer, they can use h-node
<https://h-node.org/>, the community-maintained database of computer
components that work well with free software.

We can't hope to match Microsoft's huge advertising budget, but if
you're on social media (see our recommendations
<https://www.fsf.org/share> for user-respecting social media systems)
you can help raise awareness of Windows' abuses and encourage people to
switch, in your own words. Help us jam Microsoft's ridiculous
#UpgradeYourWorld hashtag by including it in your posts encouraging
people to steer clear of Windows.

Zak Rogoff
Campaigns Manager

/Read online:
https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/help-a-friend-skip-windows-10-and-try-gnu-linux/

Follow us on GNU social <https://status.fsf.org/fsf> | Subscribe to our
blogs via RSS <https://fsf.org/blogs/RSS> | Join us as an associate
member <https://www.fsf.org/jf>

Sent from the Free Software Foundation,

51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor
Boston, Massachusetts 02110-1335
United States

Unsubscribe
<https://my.fsf.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=134016&qid=14039168&h=9b73671d7ace8cc6>
from this mailing list.

Stop all email
<https://my.fsf.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=134016&qid=14039168&h=9b73671d7ace8cc6>
from the Free Software Foundation, including Defective by Design, and
the Free Software Supporter newsletter.