F21->F22 fedup on i386: no login screen

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Mon Jun 1 01:18:08 UTC 2015

Greetings,

On this Fedora release cycle, I have been hoping to use fedup rather than
do a fresh install. To that end, I have three machines running F21: an x64
desktop, and two laptops - one x64 and the other i686.

I began w/ the i686 (a Dell Inspiron 600M) using fedup. The process is
lengthy; but it seems to be less buggy compared to the last time that I
tried it (upgrading from F17 to F18, when on completion the machine was
unuseable and required a fresh install).

With reboot, I now have no
login screen. In order to use the machine, I have to <ctrl+alt>-<F2> in
order to get a shell login screen.

Once there, I can type startx and I get Gnome 3; alas, I'm an xFce user. I
would like to be able to have my F21 environment

Looking at some of the startup messages, I see

Started GNOME Display Manager
Starting UserManager for UID 42

Started Show Plymouth Boot Screen

Started GNOME Display Manager.e" for details.t...n...nge transactions....
7dfb6016c1.ks...

and it stop there.

Any advice as to how to proceed in order to get a login screen would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com