RFC: Multiboot Guide

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Jun 1 11:32:21 UTC 2015

Pete Travis wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> There's regularly questions here, and around the internet (ie ask.fp.o)
> about dual booting Fedora with Windows systems, or other Linux systems,
> or OSX.  To address the more common questions, the Fedora Docs team has
> written a Multiboot Guide[1].
> [1]
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/22/html/Multiboot_Guide/index.html

I found this very interesting and useful. Thank you.

One issue I didn't see mentioned is: Booting into grub1 systems.
I encountered this recently when upgrading a CentOS-6.5 system to CentOS-7
(on a relatively old BIOS machine).
Although the old system was mentioned in the grub menu,
attempting to boot into it caused an immediate segfault.

Is it possible to boot into a system using the old grub
by employing a chainloader as for Windows?
If so, is this documented somewhere?

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net