install f22 into btrfs subvolume won't boot

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 11:59:03 UTC 2015

Tim wrote:

> Allegedly, on or about 28 May 2015, Neal Becker sent:
>> the rescue, which DOES work, says:
>>
>>         linux16 /vmlinuz-0-rescue-39e9e51995d040a88bf6f0ae625ead80
>> root=UUID=7246327b-1905-4fe2-9b6b-b9376017264f ro
>> rootflags=subvol=root00
>> rhgb quiet
>>

>> the default, which does NOT work, says:
>>         linux16 /vmlinuz-4.0.4-301.fc22.x86_64 root=/dev/sdb8 ro
>> rootflags=subvol=root00 rhgb quiet LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>>

>> I did see an error about not finding /dev/sdb8 - I think that's the
>> problem.
>
> I had the same problem with prior release(s).  When the computer booted
> from the install media, it was sda and the harddrive was sdb.
> Post-installation, the computer booted from the harddrive, and called it
> sda, but all the written configs point to sdb.
>
> Change the grub config to either point "root=" to sda, or do the more
> reliable thing, and use the same UUID code that the working rescue entry
> used.
>
> It's a particularly dumb fault to do with boot environments (it's well
> known that some BIOSs rearrange the order of devices, depending on what
> was booted, or which devices responded first), and those who coded the
> installer ought to know better than to use sdb, when there's a reliable
> UUID written to the hard drive.
>
> On a related note, since someone had the foresight to make a "rescue"
> entry, perhaps someone might, also, have thought to include a "find the
> right partition" set of entries.  So when booting fails, a fallback is a
> menu with the results from something that probes the partitions, then
> lists all the likely bootable candidates for you, and you can pick the
> right one.  That'd get you into a working system, without having to try
> and figure out the grub command line with inadequate information, and a
> horrible environment to work in.

Just to confirm, I did edit the grub.cfg file and changed root= to point to
the same UUID that worked for the 'rescue' entry, and then it did boot.

There are lots of problems here.  Why did anaconda screw up?  Why didn't the
boot put me into an environment that was more useful to diagnosing and
fixing the problem?

--
Those who fail to understand recursion are doomed to repeat it