Swithing between gdm and kdm

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Jun 2 16:53:11 UTC 2015

On 06/02/2015 01:56 AM, Rene Harder Olsen wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>

> I have read the mails about enabling lightdm and disabling gdm.
> I have also tried it and what I found out was, it sets display manager
> via and ln which it modifies by creating a new one for the one which is
> enabled and removed the one which is disabled.
>
> Dnf says that kde and gdm is installed and when I changed it has no
> effect on graphic desktop displayed.
>
> Any tips or help is more than welcome.
>
> Can it has anything to do with the sudoers file I have set to no login
> at boot.
>
> i am not native English speaking person so please bear with me.

Rene,

lightdm and gdm are display managers, not desktops. The most visible
difference between the two are the login prompt for your desktop and
the way sessions are selected. lightdm uses fewer resources than gdm,
with gdm really being a thinned-down version of gnome shell. Once
you're past the login and session selection, then your desktop is
handled by the window, desktop and session managers.

I use XFCE, so my actual desktop is handled by xfwm4 (the window
manager), xfce4-session (the session manager) and xfdesktop (the
desktop manager). If you're running gnome, then I'd suggest staying
with gdm as it does offer some underlying support for the Gnome
desktop and may help Gnome start faster, but for XFCE and Mate, I'd
recommend using lightdm.
-    I'm telling you that the kernel is stable not because it's a    -
-    kernel, but because I refuse to listen to arguments like this.  -
-                                              -- Linus Torvalds     -