gsl

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Thu Jun 4 14:06:44 UTC 2015

I am late to this thread and confused: isn't there an example in the manual?

https://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/html_node/Example-programs-for-Nonlinear-Least_002dSquares-Fitting.html#Example-programs-for-Nonlinear-Least_002dSquares-Fitting

Does this above work?

Ranjan

On Thu, 4 Jun 2015 09:53:59 -0400 Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 03:30:18PM +0200, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> >
> >     const gsl_multifit_fsolver_type T_ ;
> >     gsl_multifit_fsolver *s_ = gsl_multifit_fsolver_alloc (&T_, 10, 5);
> >

> > Gives the same
> >  Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> I installed gsl and gsl-devel, but didn't find any man pages, so I cannot
> tell what it says (or would say) about how to call that function. As a
> result, I had to guess.
>
> perhps it wants you to locally allocate an actual structure instance
> (not merely a pointer) and pass its address?
>
> in that case, remove thne * from the declaration and add the & to the call.
>
> Fred
> >
> > ===========================================================================
> >  Patrick DUPRÉ                                 | | email: pdupre at gmx.com
> >  Laboratoire de Physico-Chimie de l'Atmosphère | |
> >  Université du Littoral-Côte d'Opale           | |
> >  Tel.  (33)-(0)3 28 23 76 12                   | | Fax: 03 28 65 82 44
> >  189A, avenue Maurice Schumann                 | | 59140 Dunkerque, France
> > ===========================================================================
> >

> > > Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2015 at 3:15 PM
> > > From: "Fred Smith" <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
> > > To: users at lists.fedoraproject.org
> > > Subject: Re: gsl

> > > the other thought I had is that you may need to pass the address of
> > > T_ so the function knows where your local gsl_multifit_fsolver_type
> > > is, so it can store data there. Try passing "&T_" instead. In this case
> > > you wouldn't need to initialize it because the routine will use
> > > the address of your local variable.
> > >

> > > --
> > > ---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us -----------------------------
> > >    "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged
> > >    sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow;
> > >               it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."
> > > --
> > >
> > --
>
> --

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.