fontconfig debug?

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 14:46:41 UTC 2015

Tim wrote:

> On Thu, 2015-06-04 at 10:06 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
>> Is there any way to tell whether this is working?
>
> I have to ask:  Surely you're enabling this because you prefer how
> things look with autohinting.  So, can you see the visual benefit that
> you expect to see?

I see a big improvement after setting:

Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefault
#Xft.dpi: 96
Xft.antialias: 1
Xft.hinting: 1
Xft.hintstyle: hintslight
Xft.rgba: rgb
Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefault

in ~/.Xresources

I'm saddened that I have to revert to messing with Xresources instead of
something more modern.

Having done that, I don't know if I'm seeing an effect for autohinting.
Sure would be nice if I could actually tell if my attempt at autohinting is
done correctly.  I can't even tell if fontconfig read these files.

Other than that, it does look pretty nice.