How to figure out which package provides the "Fixed 16" font

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Sat Jun 6 17:37:45 UTC 2015

Hi,

>> I was wondering how to find out the package that provides the font
>> called "Fixed 16" in Fedora 22. The font existed in Fedora 21.
>> Installing the same packages in F22 that were in F21 has made this
>> font disappear (actually, I fedup-ed and nothing font-related that I
>> can tell was dropped or obsoleted.)
>
> I have oodles of fonts installed.  I searched for a font called 'Fixed
> 16' and did not find it.
>
> I suspect that you are seeing this name in an interface, and that it is
> a generic name rather than the actual name of the font.  If you still
> have a system where this font is installed, do a find on that system
> under /usr.  Something like
> find /usr -iname '*font*' | less
> should bring up every font file on the system.  Within the less page do
> a search on 16.  That will show you every 16 pixel? / kern? font.  One
> of those will probably be the font you are looking for.
>
> Then do a rpm -qf [path to font]/[font name] to find the package it
> belongs to.
>
> Failing that approach, what is the application that uses this font?
> Look in the source and configuration for that application to see which
> font it is actually using, behind the scenes.

It appears to me that the font that I want is actually installed. When I do xterm -fn 10x20, I get the font. (xterm is from where I became aware of this font in the first place.) However, in sylpheed, I do not know how to call this font. I have previously used Fixed 16 to refer to this font but it does not seem to work (it gives some other font). Is this a gtk update/packaging issue?

Many thanks,
Ranjan