Brand New Feddy 22 install and having screen issues

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Sun Jun 7 13:08:44 UTC 2015

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 11:42:18 -0500, c. marlow wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I installed Feddy 22 about almost 2 days ago and I am having weird
> screen tearing. I do not have anything Nvidia graphic wise but this is
> what I am seeing when I click on Settings over on my little app bar on
> the left of my screen: http://imgur.com/P9CMjHC
>
> How do I fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> ====================
> Thanks in advance!
> Christopher chris at cmarlow.info

I'm having similar tearing, but I can't say if it's the exact issue
you're having. My video card is an ATI FireGL 300 v.3, so no NVidia. This
only happens in graphics mode, with the default gnome 3 desktop. This has
been an ongoing issue for me since gonme 3. I don't even know how to
report that as a bug, as I can't take a screenshot. It happens at the
login screen in graphical mode.

By the way, how did you take the screenshot? Print screen? I can't do
that, as I can't even log in.

The way I'm being able to run Fedora (currently 22) is to install the
Mate desktop and run Mate in non-graphical mode.

1) dnf groupinstall "Mate Desktop"
2) systemctl set-default multi-user.target    # see /etc/inittab
3) create a .xinitrc file in the home directory with a line
exec mate-session

Then, you start the x server the trusted way: startx.

I also tried cinnamon, and that also has some issues on my machine
(though it works fine on other machines I have).

This works for now, but I'm totally dependent on Mate. When that stops
being supported, I'm toast.