vbeinfo and grub2 resolution

Alex Regan mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 14:34:28 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have a few fedora20 systems running on 1U rackmount servers with basic
video cards. One of them is an MGA G200eW WPCM450

03:03.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA
G200eW WPCM450 (rev 0a)

Where can I find the current documentation on how to set a reasonable
console text video mode for this card? The docs I've found either relate
to older grub2 or just grub.

I've seen references to vbemode and vbeinfo as well as gfxmode and
gfxpayload, but don't understand how to determine what video modes the
controller supports. Is it possible to choose "800x600" and have grub
figure out which mode that is for the particular controller?

I'd like a simple 800x600 or something that will scroll smoothly.
Whatever the current default is, causes the text to scroll entirely too
slowly.

I can't test this until I go to the colo, so I hoped to be able to get
it right the first time and hoped someone could help.

Thanks for any ideas.
Alex