workstation spin

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Sun Jun 7 20:28:08 UTC 2015

Someone please enlighten me. What does the current workstation spin
actually have to do with work?

On a workstation one might want to do some development, C/C++, java, web,
python, latex, modeling, engineering, whatever. One might want to have at
least windows that come with minimization buttons already, to configure
our own shortcuts. I mean, really, do I have to get/enable extensions
just to get minimization/maximization buttons on my windows?

What comes with this spin instead? A desktop made for touch pads, with
all the social media and online cloud connectivity junk, bluetooth, etc.
I don't understand, is this how work is done these days?

Don't get me wrong, there are many good things that come with recent
versions of Fedora, many things that just work out of the box, and the
things that I need are readily installable and configurable. But then
don't call this a workstation spin. Call it a social media spin and, if I
may suggest, provide a real workstation spin.

I know this will be classified as a rant, and there will be those who say
"why don't you do it?". I don't mean to be negative, I just want to point
out the need for an actual workstation spin, in the hope that someone in
the steering committee would agree.