How to figure out which package provides the "Fixed 16" font

stan stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net
Sun Jun 7 21:31:49 UTC 2015

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 13:55:30 -0500
Ranjan Maitra <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:

> So, which list would this be? I don't think that this is a sylpheed
> issue, because nothing has changed there for months. And the font
> still works on a F21 installation for sylpheed with exactly the same
> version as F22.
>
> F21:
> $ rpm -q sylpheed
> sylpheed-3.4.2-2.fc21.x86_64
>

> F22:
> $ rpm -q sylpheed
> sylpheed-3.4.2-2.fc22.x86_64

You're right, it shouldn't be a sylpheed issue.  So, it must mean that
the font that they are calling Fixed Regular 16 changed in Fedora
between F21 and F22.  You could look at the src.rpm for sylpheed to see
what that font is called by them.  That is, what font is selected by
sylpheed in the code, when the user selects Fixed Regular 16 as a
preference?  It must be the same in both F21 and F22, but different
under the same name in whatever guise Fedora has it.

Once you have the name, you can find the package.  Once you have the
package, you can look at the change history.  Or compare the font files
between F21 and F22.  You can even build an F22 rpm from the F21 font
src.rpm using rpmbuild in F22, and install it.  You might have to tweak
the version somewhat, so it is higher than that in the repositories.
Or the upstream developer of the font might provide a tar package you
can install in /usr/local.

But you have to know the font's real name.