Basic drivers, installation and regular session

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Jun 10 00:11:59 UTC 2015

On 06/09/2015 04:29 PM, Isaac Cortés González wrote:

>          -Isaac C.
> You have to be much more specific than that. What do you mean by
>  >
>  > "basic"?
>  >
>  > The vast majority of drivers (and by that I mean software that control
>  > or manage various pieces of hardware) are part of the kernel package
>  > and that really doesn't vary regardless of what spin or flavor
>  > (desktop, server, etc.) you installed. Specific applications may not
>  > be part of your installation, but that's a lot different than drivers.
>  >

> I was thinking in basic video drivers.

If you installed a desktop spin (Gnome, Xfce, MATE, KDE), then the
open source drivers were installed (e.g. nouveau for nVidia chipsets,
ati_drv/radeon_drv for AMD chipsets, etc.)

If you want the vendor-provided ones, you need to install the
appropriate akmod-whatever or kmod-whatever driver(s) you want.