Has anyone upgraded from F20 to F21 or F22 using YUM?

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 07:34:56 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 08, 2015 at 10:56:15AM -0700, Les Howell wrote:
> Hi, guys,
> 	It is getting to be time to upgrade again.  I am debating the wipe and
> reinstall method, over the upgrade by YUM.  One of the issues facing me
> it the loss of the FEL spin.  I use a lot of those tools along with some
> other stuff I have had to get via download and install.  I have also had
> my issues with GNOME (no rant, just aggravation).  So, Here is the big
> question... Has anyone done either the full jump (f20-f22) or is the
> preferred process f20 to f21 then move to f22 a bit later?

I recently upgraded from F20 -> F21 -> F22 via dnf on two separate
machines.  So far I do not see any issues.  I cannot comment
specifically on the applications you listed.  The only gotcha was, if
you are in a multilib environment, so applications requiring 32-bit
libraries on a 64-bit install, then you might need to temporarily remove
a few of the 32-bit libraries before the upgrade can proceed.

Also beware of rebooting without looking at the transaction summary from
yum/dnf.  For one of the 4 upgrades, I overlooked the install of the
kernel failed and I could not boot with the new kernel.  It was easily
solved by booting to the old kernel and regenerating the initramfs with
dracut.

Hope this helps,

PS: don't forget to run rpmconf -a to merge your configs.

--
Suvayu