Where is the menu function "copy", "cut" and "paste" in gnome nautilus/file 3.16.2

Ronal B Morse ron at morsehouse.com
Fri Jun 12 16:44:32 UTC 2015

On 06/12/2015 10:11 AM, Dario Lesca wrote:
> Il giorno ven, 12/06/2015 alle 14.55 +0800, Ed Greshko ha scritto:
>> I just looked back at F21 and
>> even there a "classic menu" with copy/paste doesn't exist.  And,
>> besides, a place where you can click copy/paste is just a GUI doing
>> CTRL-C/CTRL-V.  So, I don't know what added functionality would be
>> supplied by a "classic menu".
>
> Into f21 there is a button in top bar, when pressed show a menu with
> "paste" function.
>
> In F22 this function into menu show when press same button into top bar
> is gone.
>
> where it was moved?

The inability to paste an object into a folder using only the mouse is a
problem only in list mode, and then only when the list display is larger
than the active window. In icon mode there is always enough space
between objects to summon a file actions context menu with a right click.

One work-around, if you absolutely must use a mouse action to perform a
paste operation into a full list-mode window, is to right click on the
tab of the target window in the Nautilus top bar then click on "open in
new window". That will open the target folder in icon mode (if you
haven't changed with the defaults) and you can right-click on any empty
space to access the file actions context menu and complete the paste
operation from there. Close the new window when done.