"Someone" might take a look at the Kubuntu install

David Cary Hart dc.hart at slowlyboiledfrog.com
Sat Jun 13 01:19:37 UTC 2015

On 06/12/2015 07:28 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/13/15 00:46, David Cary Hart wrote:
>> I have been experimenting with some virtual machines lately for bug tracking. I am no fan of Ubuntu but the install of their KDE spin takes less than half the time and it installs updated packages from their repositories. The Fedora KDE spin results in a machine requiring (with just base packages) a half-gig (package size) of updates.
>>
>> Fedora is a superior distro. I am just saying that the Kubuntu install is better than ours and might be worth replicating. By the way, I also think it is better to walk through the disk and domain setup in contrast to having the two action blocks which might be obvious to me - but not to a new user migrating from Windows.
>>
>> Were it up to me we would still have the package select option. It's the same dnf bandwidth whether at install or after. But that doesn't seem to be in the cards.
>>
> The "netinstall" image, from where you can install KDE, will install the latest updates unless you tell it otherwise.
>
> If you think that option is needed from the Live installs you should file an RFE against Anaconda in bugzilla.

I have been doing this since RH9. The issue I am addressing is the new
user who won't even be aware (I assure you) of a KDE spin, let alone the
netinstall image. I concede that I was unaware of the netinstall.

I honestly don't know how we are attracting new users from Windows (at
least that used to be a goal). They are going to end up with Gnome
.whatever which is about as much fun as a colonoscopy. At least in the
latter you get some great drugs. "Activities?" Seriously?

--
David C. Hart - South Beach
http://www.slowlyboiledfrog.com