"Someone" might take a look at the Kubuntu install

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sun Jun 14 10:27:26 UTC 2015

On 06/14/15 06:45, Rex Dieter wrote:
> David Cary Hart wrote:
>
>>  their KDE spin takes less than half the tim
> Considering fedora's live install is not much more than dd'ing the live iso
> directly to disk, I find it interesting that some other method could be over
> twice as fast.

Guess what?  It isn't.

I decided to compare installing the F22 Live to disk and Kubuntu 15.04 to disk.  Of course the comparison cannot be 100% equal since there are going to be differences in the number and size of packages installed.  That said, the downloaded sizes of the iso are fairly similar and take nearly the same time to download.

1312456704 Jun 14 16:16 kubuntu-15.04-desktop-amd64.iso
1233125376 May 22 03:12 Fedora-Live-KDE-x86_64-22-3.iso

The total time from start to completion of the "install to disk" process in minutes is...

07:19     kubutu
08:40     F22

I suspect part of the additional time needed for the install is due to Fedora having selinux and the time needed to apply the contexts.  So, really not much time difference IMO.

Now, what really interested me is that during the install of kubuntu I checked the box saying to "apply updates during install" and indeed there was network activity and notifications that files were being downloaded.  However, after booting and logging in the system soon reported there were 238 packages needing updates and that took just over 7 minutes to complete.

Fedora reported 391 packages to be updated and the time needed to install was 12:32.  Again, not a valid comparison due to the unknown of package size and other factors.  Fedora had about 64% more packages to be updated.  If you increase the time used by kubuntu by 64% you get 688 seconds for kubutu and 752 for Fedora.  Pretty close.

FWIW, I wasn't happy with one aspect of kubuntu install.  kubuntu uses your timezone information to set the created user's locale while Fedora uses the language you pick at install.  So, with Fedora I was set up with a US locale and with kubuntu I was set up a Taiwan locale.

All in all, the install experience for me are pretty much the same.

--
Sorta what I want to say when folks habitually complain about Fedora - https://youtu.be/ZArl8fTfub4