F22: dnf - seems to do nothing?

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Wed Jun 17 09:42:28 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-06-16 at 06:24 -0400, Radek Holy wrote:

> > I have just installed F22 (KDE spin) onto my laptop at home. After
> > installation I ran 'dnf update' and it installed a load of patches.
> > However, now whenever I invoke dnf it seems to do nothing (no output on
> > terminal). My first thought was to perhaps try using 'strace' to see
> > what it was doing, but of course I can't install it. A reboot made no
> > difference.
> >

> can you run it with the --verbose switch and the environment variable
> LIBREPO_DEBUG=1? Can you share your dnf.log? File a bug with all these
> information, please.
>
> "dnf clean all" may work around it.

Hello,

Thanks for this. I have now solved the problem.

The 'clean all' made no difference. However the 'dnf -v' showed that the
process was waiting on the mirror server for some reason. The dnf log
showed the URL it was trying to use, and when I tried this in a browser
it worked fine (the XML file was displayed). However, when I tried with
'curl -v' it hung up. The problem was with the EPSV command:

====
< 250 Directory successfully changed.
> EPSV
* Connect data stream passively
421 Timeout.ng Extended Passive Mode (|||14410|)
* Connection time-out
* Failed EPSV attempt. Disabling EPSV
> PASV
* response reading failed
* Closing connection 0
curl: (56) response reading failed
====

Running curl with the '--disable-epsv' option, and the file downloaded
immediately.

I then found someone else had recently reported a similar problem:

By enabling the 'fastestmirror' option in dnf, downloads now work fine.

What is a bit annoying is that the original mirror being used was the
one at the University of Kent here in the UK. Fortunately the
'fastestmirror' has chosen a different mirror, but I guess at some
future time the problem could emerge again if that mirror gets selected.

I'll see about letting the mirror know of the problem.

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK