turn off monitors when logged out

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Jun 17 13:26:57 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 07:33:53AM -0500, SternData wrote:
> On 06/17/2015 04:58 AM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 11:41:45PM -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
> >> The monitors turn off normally when I'm logged in and idle for 20
> >> minutes but since the upgrade to F22, the monitors stay on when I'm
> >> logged out.
> >>
> >> Where do I tell gdm to turn off the screens if the system is idle for
> >> more than X minutes while logged out?
> >
> > If you are using Gnome, your desktop settings should also apply to gdm.
> > If you use something else, I would guess you need to use the gnome power
> > management application to replicate your desktop settings.
> >
> > In case you are not using Gnome, I would recommend switching to
> > something like lightdm.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >

> 1. I am using Gnome, with Xscreensaver.
>
> 2. Power manager settings are to blank the screen after 8 minutes
>
> But the screens do not blank or suspend when logged out.

I dunno about F21/22, but on older systems, Xscreensaver doesn't
necessarily get along real well with Gnome Screensaver. If you've
actually got Xscreensaver, you prolly need to REMOVE the Gnome
screensaver, then redo the settings on Xscreensaver, select
"restart daemon" and see what happens then.

                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked