turn off monitors when logged out

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 17:17:28 UTC 2015

On 06/17/2015 01:11 PM, SternData wrote:
> On 06/17/2015 11:08 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> As far as I know, the login screen runs as a different user
>> (gdb, for instance, runs as user "gdm").
>>
>> Since all the settings for power management, screensaver, etc
>> are per-user settings, to get changes to stick, you need to get
>> that user to have the right settings (which is non-trivial
>> since the settings are usually stashed in dconf, but changing
>> a different user's dconf is tricky, plus you need to discover
>> the actual names of the relevant settings in the dconf database).
>>
> Why oh why is this so hard?
>
> It used to work, pre-F22.
>
> I tried gnome-screensaver, then removed it and went back to xscreensaver.
>
> I'll keep plugging away at this.

I simply began to believe the new standing doctrine is: *no more
screensavers!* The Wikipedia entry on them implies they are a
worse-than-useless leftover from the old CRT days and that you're better
off, all things considered, letting your screen blank out.

The upgrade to F22 totally destroyed my desktop slideshow and
screensaver settings. They left me with a bare-bones environment: /no/
wallpaper other than the default F22 wallpaper, and /no/
screensaver--just blank the screen after however many minutes of
inactivity. I've tried half a dozen times to change desktop or
floating-view settings. Each time, KDE's Plasma environment crashes and
has to restart. Finally I gave it up. I wouldn't know what component to
file a bug against. Suggestions?

Temlakos