grub efi linux & linuxefi

andrea mariofutire at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 17 20:12:48 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am on Fedora 22 and I am trying to dual boot ChromiumOS and Fedora 22.

I was trying to use the grub coming from Fedora 22, which boots Fedora's kernel via the undocumented
grub's commands linuxefi and initrdefi (they seem to be added by one of the >100 patches in grub's rpm).

linuxefi fails to boot ChromiumOS with the reason "kernel does not support EFI handover".

At the same time Fedora's grub lacks the traditional "linux" command (command not found).

On the other hand ChromiumOS's grub (which runs too in EFI mode, with kernel 3.14.xx) only has the
traditional linux & initrd commands.

It seems to me that Fedora's grub & kernel have been patched so that they work together, but by
doing so, they have lost the traditional interface (which is still used by ChromiumOS).

Am I reading this correctly?

i.e. that Fedora's grub is special and is not supposed to work with non-Fedora's kernels.

My current solution is to chainload ChromiumOS's grub and start ChromiumOS from there (all in EFI
mode), but I would like to remove this steps.

Thanks