um ... why are my wiki pages suddenly rendering "fi" in olde english?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 18 10:58:08 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-06-17 at 18:19 -0400, Fred Smith wrote:
> Does have the correct locale/language settings? Look in EDIT/
> PREFERENCES/CONTENT and click "choose".

That setting doesn't do what you think it does.

It allows you to set a option in your browser which will tell websites
which languages you can read, and which ones you prefer - this
information is sent to webservers in the request headers for any pages
it fetches.  *If* the website is multi-lingual, it could automatically
serve you the pages that suit your preferences.  Though, those few sites
that are multilingual, rarely actually make use of the (content
negotiation) feature - they get you to click on a link to change to a
different language, and use cookies to preserve that choice during the
browsing session.

As far as dealing with websites which have the wrong encoding (i.e. they
say one thing, but actually provide another), or simply don't declare
what encoding they use (and it's different from the presumed US-ASCII),
you have a different configuration for setting the default character
encoding.  And there used to be a menu setting for changing the current
page decoding, without changing defaults.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.8-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 12 17:42:35 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.