F22 unusable - system freezes on login

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Thu Jun 18 21:16:00 UTC 2015

On 06/18/2015 01:52 PM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> On 2015-06-18 14:04, Paul Cartwright wrote:
>> On 06/18/2015 12:54 PM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>> (ยน *Once and only once* I was able to log in, but the system froze as
>>> soon as I tried to run an application. Also, I can log in in single-user
>>> mode, but this isn't good for much but running dnf and fiddling with
>>> enabled services. I *have* applied all updates as of a few hours ago to
>>> no effect.)
>>
>>   do you have a choice of logins, like KDE/gnome??
>> maybe you didn't allow enough space for root..
>
> Does "TTY" count? I'd be quite surprised if changing DE works when I
> can't log in at a TTY either. It *might* be kdm, though I don't claim to
> know how to change that.
>
> BTW, 'systemctl start graphical.target' from single-user mode also kills
> the system.

Then you definitely have a graphics issue. Bring it up in single user
mode and have a look at the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file to see if there's
anything that might point to an issue. I had an issue on one machine
with nouveau on a specific video card. Using an nVidia binary blob
driver overcame that.

>> does # df -h
>> show enough space in root?
>
>    /          108G
>    /boot      336M
>    /boot/efi   55M
>    /var       119G
>    /home      881G
>
> New system, remember? There's nothing on it but the initial install
> (modulo updates). I haven't even gotten to installing additional
> software that I'll eventually want, because the system is unusable ATM.
>
>> if you can get in as single user you might look at journalctl to see
>> what happened when it locks up
>
> Hmm... is it expected that there are no entries *at all* for the last
> few boots? The only entries I have are for June 5. (And yes, my system
> date is correct: June 18.) Anyway, I have no idea what I'd be looking for.

If it croaked before the log entries got flushed to disk, yeah, that's
possible. By default, syncs to disk occur every five minutes so if
journald or systemd seize up before that period, you have no logs. Yet
another stupid idea forced on us by the systemd/journald idiocy.