F22 unusable - system freezes on login

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Thu Jun 18 21:46:36 UTC 2015

On 06/18/2015 02:27 PM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> On 2015-06-18 17:16, Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> Does "TTY" count? I'd be quite surprised if changing DE works when I
>>> can't log in at a TTY either. It *might* be kdm, though I don't claim to
>>> know how to change that.
>>>
>>> BTW, 'systemctl start graphical.target' from single-user mode also kills
>>> the system.
>>
>> Then you definitely have a graphics issue. Bring it up in single user
>> mode and have a look at the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file to see if there's
>> anything that might point to an issue. I had an issue on one machine
>> with nouveau on a specific video card. Using an nVidia binary blob
>> driver overcame that.
>
> It's an AMD (GPU, not CPU). Anyway, I am allergic to proprietary
> software :-).
>
> Nothing in any of the Xorg.*.log*'s jumps out at me.
> ~user/.xsession-errors is empty.

Maybe we can catch log entries before it completely dies. Bring the
system up in single user mode, then edit /etc/systemd/journald.conf.
Find the line:

	#ForwardToSyslog=no

Change it to:

	ForwardToSyslog=yes

and save the file. This should cause journald to forward log entries
to the old system logger. Reboot and force the crash. Hopefully, the
messages will get logged to /var/log/messages before you lose the log
daemon.

Reboot again to single user mode and look at /var/log/messages to see
if you caught it. Change the line in /etc/systemd/journald.conf back
to put things back the way they were.

NOTE: I've not tried this myself. Others have told me it works and I'm
just passing it along.
-   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
-              just very picky of who its friends are!               -