Altair 8800

Les Howell hlhowell at pacbell.net
Fri Jun 19 01:10:49 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-06-18 at 21:01 -0400, Fulko Hew wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 7:45 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks at alldigital.com> wrote:
>
> > Bus termination wasn't mandatory, but it sure as hell helped. Some
> > company (can't remember who) developed an active terminator board that
> > was much better than just passive resistors,
>
> I don't have silk screening on mine, but I'm pretty sure it was Processor Tech
> that made it.  I bypassed the 4 slot and went straight to that backplane,
> and its 16 slots.  It was the IMSAI that put in a 22 slot backplane.
>
> PS.  Thanks for making me look at mine.  My machine was warm!
> Turns out my add-on 8V supply has been on for the last couple of months
> and I didn't even know it.

WOW.. I thought I was the only one on here with an 8800.  Mine is a B
model with the Quiet bus installed and runs at I think 8Mhz.  But its
been a while.  I also have the Zilog Z80 board in it as well as a very
early modem and terminal driver for the TV set type display.  And the
whole shebang of 64K.

Regards,
Les H