Using Fedup

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 14:10:08 UTC 2015

On 06/19/2015 09:29 AM, Tim wrote:
> Mickey:
>>> fedup: error: argument --product: invalid choice: 'non-product'
>>> (choose
>>> from 'server', 'cloud', 'workstation', 'nonproduct')
> Patrick O'Callaghan:
>> Seriously?
> Can someone explain what product=nonproduct actually means?  I've looked
> at <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedUp>, but it makes as much sense as
> sale=nosale, to me.

Beginning with F21, Fedora spun itself into three main flavors:
workstation, server, and cloud. Three different flavors with different
needs. The "nonproduct" flavor lets you upgrade from F20 to F21 without
trying to conform to a specific "product." Here's the thing: product
workstation is GNOME and nothing but GNOME. That's all very well if you
like GNOME or are migrating from the Mac. But we KDE users must use the
nonproduct flavor to keep everything the way we have it.

Temlakos