Using Fedup

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 19:12:17 UTC 2015

> On Sat, 2015-06-20 at 03:03 +0930, Tim wrote:
>> Tim:
>>
>> Temlakos:
>>> Beginning with F21, Fedora spun itself into three main flavors:
>>> workstation, server, and cloud. Three different flavors with
>>> different
>>> needs. The "nonproduct" flavor lets you upgrade from F20 to F21
>>> without trying to conform to a specific "product." Here's the
>>> thing:
>>> product workstation is GNOME and nothing but GNOME. That's all very
>>> well if you like GNOME or are migrating from the Mac. But we KDE
>>> users
>>> must use the nonproduct flavor to keep everything the way we have
>>> it.
>> Ah, okay, I get it.  Poor choice of keywords, though.  Would have
>> been
>> clearer if they'd used something more sensible.
> IIRC several suggestions were made at the time, none of which were
> accepted. See for example the (long) thread at
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/kde/2014-December/013991.html
>
> poc

I recall that thread well. I started it. Of course what happened, I
never would have predicted: the "product" flag existed with the F20->F21
upgrade but not with the F21->F22 upgrade. I accomplished the last
upgrade with a couple of issues, one of which I solved by removing, then
re-installing, a family of programs, the other of which required me to
run a legacy systemtray program.

Temlakos