gigantic messages files created in /var/log makes system virtually unusable

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Fri Jun 19 20:27:09 UTC 2015

Hi,

Earlier today, I discovered my 2-week-old (in terms of installation) F21-> F22 system unusable. Upon investigation, I found / at 100%, because it had been overrun by a /var/log/messages file which was 7.5G. I deleted this file (and also removed auditd, horrifying!) but was wondering if there is a way to limit the size of the messages file or at least erase the old messages files once in a while.

My / is 14 GB, /boot is 1GB, and swap is 32 GB. Memory is 32 GB also. I installed Fedora 21 on June 3 or 4 and then upgraded to F22 last week using FedUp.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Ranjan

--
Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.