F22 unusable - system freezes on login

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 14:00:14 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-22 14:15, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> If the same set of steps don't work and then start working and then
> don't work again, I am thinking memory or the harddrive.

Hmm... and... first try (just now) to boot the LiveCD got stuck ('LSB
init' IIRC). Second worked...

> Boot from a live image, do a memcheck

How do I do that? (Last I recall this was a tool one had to boot into,
but I don't see an option for that?)

FWIW The Dell OBD extended memory check passed.

> and do a fsck on all partitions.

I get an "updating bad block inode" on every single partition...? But
otherwise nothing, despite doing a thorough non-destructive write scan.
(Is this indicative of a real problem? Or just because I can never do a
clean shutdown?)

> Does the machine work reliably under the live image?

See above. Otherwise, seems okay, though I've not done much.

> Also, just for completeness, what is your video hardware?

ATI/AMD Saturn XT [FirePro M6100]

> Another stab in the dark is CPU temperature --- is the machine maybe
> overheating? Does the cpu fan work? Does it sound normal? Are any parts
> of the machine unusually hot to touch?

Fan and exterior temp seem okay. HW sensors report the CPU cores around
54°-59° (C), which is slightly lower than my other laptop.

> As a side note, AFAIK now sshd is disabled on fresh installs. Do a
> "systemctl enable sshd" and "systemctl start sshd" (and verify with
> "systemctl status sshd"), and retry to log in over the network. I doubt
> it will work, but it's worth a try.

I did figure out the appropriate incantations to get the network to be
active on boot (sshd - 'systemctl enable sshd' was comparatively easy).
I'm seeing the same behavior with ssh login as with local; it appears to
accept the password, but I never get a shell. (If it wasn't a brand
spanking new install - and happening for root also - I would suspect
something being run via .bashrc...)

--
Matthew