[OT] HP Officejet Pro 8620

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 23 15:24:19 UTC 2015

On 06/23/2015 07:46 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 06/23/2015 01:40 PM, g wrote:
>>
>> Robert and Ralf,
>
>> On 06/22/2015 10:31 AM, ken wrote:
>>> For some reason the "tech support" people at Hewlett-Packard don't
>>> know what the default password is to access their printer's embedded
>>> web server (EWS).
> AFAICT, the factory-default is "admin" and no/empty password.
>
> Its users manual is here:
> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04204791
>
>>>  I got it myself from the installation manual six
>>> months ago and immediately set my own password which I have used
>>> since then, so I no longer remember what the default is.  (It's
>>> really a longer story than that, but....)  So I was just hoping
>>> that someone here might know what that default password is.  Mine
>>> is an Officejet Pro 8620, but perhaps some other, recent HP printer
>>> default password would work.
>
> BTW: AFAICT, sw-wise all HP 86xxs (8610, 8620, 8630, ...) are very
> similar, so his question should also apply to these.
>
>>> (Yes, I've already tried various versions of "admin", an empty
>>> password, and others, but just not anything which has worked.)
>>
>> as he states, he has gone thru various 'incantations' to get into
>> printer, but all are failing and no user on centos list has same
>> printer to be able to help.
>
> #1 item to try would be to try on the printer's touch-display. Most
> settings are available there, too. I never tried this on my printer for
> hopefully understandable reasons, but if desperate, I'd try a factory
> reset (cf. the manual).

he did, and that is when "the fit really hit the shan". ;-)

personally, if i had such a printer on my system and i changed a
factory password, it would be to my user password or root user
password. neither of which i have/will/would forget.

plus, something like this is an ideal reason to use the desktop's
password wallet, it it has one. write it to a file somewhere.

> My wild guess on the cause of "I know my passwd is correct, but can't
> log into it anymore" would be "firewalls" (on computer, router and
> printer) or problems related to the basic network setup (dhcp, https, etc).
>
>> thanks again for your response.
> Welcome, nevertheless, I doubt my response will be of much help :(
.
better than no response. :-)

again, i thank you for your reply.

--

peace out.

-+-
If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!
-+-
-+-

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6