secure erase drive errors

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 24 16:07:06 UTC 2015

Tim:
>> I've pulled drives apart before, but that's a lot effort (tiny odd
>> screws, sometimes seriously jammed into place), then bent the disc
>> platters to buggery.
>>
>> While seriously annoying and time-consuming to do, it was also quite
>> satisfying to mangle the bugger to death.

Fred Smith:
> Probably cathartic, too! :)

;-)

Many years ago, any time my young nephew visited, I let him loose on
mangling a hard drive.  It took him quite some time to get one apart,
but he did it with great gusto and destructiveness.  And it kept from
doing other mischief, instead.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.

This email brought to you by potato omelates: Boil three medium potatoes
for ten minutes, then smash them (that's mash them only once, so they're
chunky). Stir up four eggs, like you're going to make scrambled eggs.
Mix potatoes and eggs together. Melt a large lump of butter in a frypan.
Slowly fry small helpings until golden brown. Replenish the butter as
you go along, don't burn the butter. Tip out any butter that's starting
to burn, as you go along.