Strange booting problem

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jun 25 00:24:39 UTC 2015

On 06/25/2015 02:07 AM, jd1008 wrote:

> On 06/24/2015 05:57 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> On 06/24/2015 04:25 PM, jd1008 wrote:
>>> Laptop: Dell Latitude E6510.
>>>
>>> OS: F20 with all updates
>>>
>>> Grub installed on sda.
>>>
>>> Power up ,and after bios's internal works, I do not get the grub menu.
>>> All I get is an empty screen with the underscore cursor blinking at
>>> upper left corner.
>>>
>>> Reboot.
>>>
>>> Press F12 to get the BIOS boot menu.
>>>
>>> Select Internal HDD
>>>
>>> Boots just fine.
>>
>> Looks like the BIOS' concept of the primary boot drive is different
>> than "internal HDD". Check the boot order on the BIOS.
> Boot order is
> 1. CD drive
> 2. USB drive
> 3. Internal Drive
> 4. Network

Presuming this is a real BIOS system (not UEFI), my wild guess would be:

You have a "malconfigured" grub installed in the MBR (/dev/sda) and a
"configured" grub installed in /dev/sda<boot-partition>.

Should this reasoning apply, marking /dev/sda<boot-partition> "bootable"
(using gparted, fdisk etc.) should help.

Ralf